For this week, myself as well as my classmates were tasked with taking multiple pictures that satisfy certain criteria. We would have 15 minutes to try to take pictures that we think satisfy the criteria. There are 15 subjects in total. I’m assuming one picture can’t satisfy 2 of those subjects at the same time. So I took one photo for each subject I could get within the 15 minute time frame. Here’s a list of the criteria
- Take a photo dominated by a single color.
- Take a photo of an interesting shadow.
- Take a photo of something futuristic.
- Take a photo at an unusual angle, e.g. looking up at something or looking down at something, or from the view of an ant.
- Take a photo in bright light.
- Take a photo of someone else’s shoe or foot.
- Make an inanimate object look alive.
- Make a photo that uses converging lines to draw us into the photo
- Take a photo of two things that do not belong together.
- Take a photo that shows a repeating pattern.
- Take a photo where you move the camera as you take the photo, so it gives the subject a suggestion of motion.
- Take a photo that is looking through a frame or opening to something else.
- Take a photo that represents joy.
- Make a photo that is abstract, that would make someone ask, “Is that a photograph?”
- Take a photo that represents a metaphor for complexity.
I will have every photo in the same order as the list so it’s easy to understand which photo goes to which subject / criteria from left to right, top to bottom. The first and last photos are of the time. The first one being when I started, and the last one being when I ended. I also couldn’t get the converging lines one, or one that represents joy within the time limit.
I took all of these photos in my House. Mostly my basement, but I couldn’t find anything for abstract or complex, so I had to go upstairs for those.
Some of the criteria is pretty straight forward. But some of them I had to interpret a little bit. Like the metaphor for complexity. I had no idea what that truly meant, so I figured to take a photo of one of my fossils, seeing as how its bone structure is pretty complex. The inanimate object one was also pretty hard to do. I still don’t think I really convey that with the photo I took for it. The picture has the bikes from Tron being ridden by people and it even shows the light trail they leave behind as they drive. That was honestly the best I could come up with. Other than that, I think I did pretty good on this scavenger hunt.
One of the tips that I used for this assignment to make me a better photographer, was that I used the best lens quality I could get on my phone. The pictures still probably look bad, I need to clean my lenses a little bit. Yeah, let me go do that real quick. I’ll talk to you all in another blog post.